Dreaming of Becoming a Flight Attendant?

Pursuing the Dream of Becoming a Flight Attendant 

Insights from a Seasoned Professional 

  

Hey there, fellow dreamers! It's Regina, your favorite regional flight attendant, and I've got a special blog post for you today. I recently had the pleasure of chatting with Daphna, a 16-year-old aspiring Flight Attendant who shares my passion for the skies. Her dream airlines that she plans to pursue in the future upon high school graduation are Emirates or American Airlines.  She had a lot of questions about the Flight Attendant profession, and I'm here to share our conversation with all of you.


The Exciting World of Flight Attendants
In our discussion, Daphna was curious about the workload and general description of the job. I explained to her that being a Flight Attendant comes with different responsibilities depending on the airline and type of flying. Whether it's working for a regional airline, corporate flying, or a major international airline like American or Emirates, the experience can vary.

Flight Hours and Limitations
She also wanted to know how much time flight attendants spend in the air and where they must be. I shared that the number of hours in the air depends on the airline and the type of flying. For regional flight attendants like me, a typical workday consists of a maximum of 12 hours of duty, including breaks. However, delays or unforeseen circumstances can extend the day up to 14 hours. Beyond that, crew members may "time out" and flights can be affected.

Training for Success
Next, her questions were geared toward curiosity about the training process for flight attendants. I emphasized that training is a crucial part of becoming a flight attendant. It usually lasts around three to four weeks for regional airlines, while major airlines may have five to seven-week training programs. Training covers essential skills like evacuation drills, CPR, the Heimlich maneuver, and, in some cases, even delivering babies. There are also tests and examinations throughout the training period to ensure competency in various areas.

Preparing for the Journey
Daphna asked for advice on how to prepare before applying for a flight attendant position. I shared some insights based on my experience, both as a flight attendant and working in the training department. I suggested considering customer service-related work to demonstrate people skills and responsibility. Additionally, obtaining certifications such as CPR, resume, and interview prepping can help showcase preparedness and reliability during interviews.

Sleeping in the FA Jumpseat is NOT allowed. You could face termination or get fined by the FAA or BOTH.  If caught? LOL


A Day in the Life of a Flight Attendant
To give my niece a glimpse into the routine of a flight attendant, I walked her through a typical day for me at a regional airline. I explained how I prepare my bags, pack essentials like extra uniforms and underwear, and toiletries, and set multiple alarms for early morning reports. I also mentioned the convenience of the Known Crew Member (KCM) program, which expedites crew members through security checks, ensuring a smoother start to the day.

Becoming a flight attendant is an exhilarating journey filled with unique challenges and unforgettable experiences. In my conversation with Daphna, we explored different aspects of the profession, from the workload and training process to the daily routine of a flight attendant. For those aspiring to follow in my footsteps, I encourage you to pursue your dreams, gain relevant experience, and be prepared for the adventure that lies ahead. Fly high and never stop dreaming!

Remember, if you want to listen to the full podcast episode with Daphna and me, head over to my podcast channel. Stay tuned for more exciting episodes and inspiring stories from the world of aviation.

Safe travels, my fellow dreamers!


#24 Bonus: I want to be a Flight Attendant




 MY NEEDLE JET Podcast



Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog post are solely those of Regina, the flight attendant, based on her experiences and knowledge. Different airlines and individuals may have different perspectives.




Comments

Popular Posts